Jeannett Slesnick Obituary: An Enduring Tribute to Former Commissioner

Jeannett Slesnick, a former commissioner for Coral Gables and a model citizen who was First Lady of the City Beautiful for ten years, passed away on Thursday, August 3, 2023. She realized her time was up. She therefore managed to send a message to friends via email on June 23 while her family was there

Jeannett Slesnick, a former commissioner for Coral Gables and a model citizen who was First Lady of the City Beautiful for ten years, passed away on Thursday, August 3, 2023.

She realized her time was up. She therefore managed to send a message to friends via email on June 23 while her family was there at her Gables home. She was at home, but 55 pounds lighter and so frail that concentrating was a herculean struggle. She wrote:

“My doctor says I have two months plus left, but with my positive attitude, who knows! It could be longer, Many blessings to all of you and thank you for believing in me, whether it be my real estate business with Ginger Jochem, my public service, or my social activities. I love you all and hold you close to my heart.”

Slesnick discussed her medical ordeal which includes a 64-day stint at Baptist Hospital for chemotherapy after being diagnosed with lymphoma three times. Lymphoma is a general word for cancer that develops in lymphocytes and it reappeared in 2020. She was initially identified in 2014.

She overcame breast cancer in 2016 while serving on the City Commission, two years later. Then, earlier this year, it returned once more. The illness would be cruel this time. In her email, Slesnick expressed her love for her neighborhood, her friends and her family.

Slesnick passed away six days after her birthday, while still in the company of her loved ones. Jeannette started her own business in 2005 after working for EWM for 25 years. A few years later, she teamed up with Ginger Jochem to form a dynamic duo that quickly rose to the top of the real estate broker ranks.

In Coral Gables, Jeannett Slesnick put a lot of effort into rising to the top position as a single-family house realtor. Some days before her passing, she was honored for the @cityofcoralgables.

In our latest posts, we covered the obituary of Pee-Wee Herman & Mark Beard obituary, if you want to know what happened to them you can read our below post:

People are sharing tributes towards her on social media. The official account of the City of Coral Gables tweeted, “It is with heavy hearts that we share the news of Jeannett Slesnick’s passing.”

It is with heavy hearts that we share the news of Jeannett Slesnick’s passing. Jeannett served as city commissioner and was deeply involved in countless community organizations.

We send our love to Mayor Slesnick, her children, Katheleen and Don Jr., and all of her loved ones. pic.twitter.com/9ITzJzfOCm

— City of Coral Gables (@CityCoralGables) August 4, 2023

Debbie Mucarsel Powell said, “Our community has suffered a great loss. Commissioner Jeannett Slesnick led with conviction, integrity and dedication to her community.”

Our community has suffered a great loss. Commissioner Jeannett Slesnick led with conviction, integrity and dedication to her community. We will miss you dearly Jeannett, Robert & I send Mayor Don Slesnick & the family our deepest condolences. Keeping you in our prayers. 🙏❤️ pic.twitter.com/DE3T6dYWrX

— Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (@DebbieforFL) August 4, 2023

Commissioner Ariel Fernandez tweeted, “Coral Gables City Hall is lit lime green tonight in honor of our former First Lady and Commissioner, Jeannett Slesnick.”

Coral Gables City Hall is lit lime green tonight in honor of our former First Lady and Commissioner, Jeannett Slesnick. #CoralGables #RIPJeannett pic.twitter.com/uIwS4Geyjc

— Commissioner Ariel Fernandez (@commishariel) August 5, 2023

You can follow our Twitter account and view our other most recent posts to know more about what happened nearby, including death news, cause of death, autopsy reports, obituaries and more.

ncG1vNJzZmiulaPBtr7Eo6alrF6YvK57kWlpbGdgbXxxgY6jnJqmnprBtXnSpZysppmYuG67waKrrpmirnw%3D

Share!